Tuesday, November 27, 2007

There's no mistake, I smell that smell. It's that time of year again.

The lyrics of Stereophonics welcomes us to that most perplexing part of the year.

Christmas, holidays, doing a self-check of how the year has been spent, parties, shopping. It is unnerving isn't it. And yes, I think it makes all of us, a bit more vulnerable than usual.

Myself for one is more vulnerable around this time. I've never been really good with Novembers and Decembers and they have been good to me sometimes, but with consequences. haha.

Anyways, watching a soppy episode (i can't believe it can get soppy, but Mr Big leaves NY for California. Yah that one) of Sex and the City and listening to Tegan and Sara ( Lesbian song writers-sisters) made me want to write this down.

Please don't judge me! :) it's for fun too.

Songs that have/can made me cry



Dakota- The most-overplayed song in Singapore indie disco (if they still count as indie) history made it to my list. And I have never realised its nasty and ugly single album art. A bit lesbian hor. But a good song from these Welsh rockers and a good song to have in indie Karaoke bars.

Why it breaks your heart: C'mon. It's one of those post-adolescent/youth recollection-type songs that old men like Stereophonics write about, erm not too different from Green Day too. The song candidly speaks about a relationship gone awry methinks and no one knows exactly why too. Sad ain't it. Wonderful thing about this ditty, you can try to fit in to any romance/one-night stands gone wrong. haha.

Boo Boo: I was so strung out on bad red that I was intermittently sobbing, dancing, smiling to the song. such a bad night. man ( i got witnesses, so sorry guys manic drunk here)

Heart stabbing line(s) and stanzas: Drinking back, drinking for two/ Drinking with you/ When drinking was new
I wonder if we'll meet again/ And talk about life since then/Talk about why did it end/
You made me feel like the one



Ten Days, by Australian songwriter Missy Higgins. Love her, and she's got great short hair.

Why it breaks your heart: It's not a sappy ballad but I guess it's how when the most poignant part of the song, she transposes and emotes her heart out and yes, you feel it.

Boo Boo: SomeBODY sent the song to me. boo boo.

Heart stabbing line(s) and stanzas:So we've put an end to it this time/I'm no longer yours and you're no longer mine/
You said this hill looks far too steep/if I'm not even sure it's me you wanna keep.

You won't talk me into it next time, if I'm going away your hearts coming too.

Did you really think I had gone when you couldn't see me anymore?



"Behold! The Nightmare" by The Smashing Pumpkins

This one will stun most hearts, A Smashing Pumpkins song from its most ill-received albums to date? And people like Amelia Tan Pei Qi ( yes, I am so acknowledging your readership hon) will say what's that scary vamp doing on the cover. I recall how this was the first, the FIRST album a 13 year-old rachxf bought with the money she saved up. and she was so freaked out after listening to it. So dark. Dark still, but the album has grown on me and grew up with me.

Why it breaks your heart: Its haunting electronic/guitars/acoustic melodies meets Billy Corgan's squeaky voice. With lyrics that read like Gothic poetry. It crawls up and surprises you at your most vulnerable. Listeners' advisory: Do not listen late at night.

Boo Boo: I would call this a soundtrack of my life. It was ringing in my head when a lot of formative experiences happened to me.

Heart stabbing line(s) and stanzas: (sounds stalkerish in fact, on hindsight)
I faced the fathoms in your deep. Withstood the suitors' quiet siege.
Pulled down the heavens just to please you. Appease you

I can't go on/ Digging roses from your grave
To linger on
Beyond the beyond
Where the willows weep
And the whirlpools sleep

All you have to do is run away
And steal yourself from me
Become a mystery to gaze into


Alrighty, enough is enough. Sad songs maketh bad songs. Now, I'm gonna listen to some christmas carols.

No comments: